Thursday, April 25, 2013

Barb Rentenbach Thoughts.


As I watched these videos there were many different comments that came to mind and hopefully I will successfully articulate those to you in this post!  I truly enjoyed exploring and listening to these videos and am planning to pass them along to other teachers/friends!

How did this presentation change your view of those with Autism?
            This presentation didn’t so much change my view of those with Autism as much as it reinforced them.  I have had and further developed through my classes at UT a view of people with Autism as very intellectual and capable people. Of course there are the stereotypes that are involved, but overall I feel that I have always seen Autism not as a disability but as a unique characteristic that should be talked about within our society. 
            I especially liked the video with the panel of people with Autism using FC’s.  It was very interesting to watch them interact with one another through humor and witty banter.  I feel that it was something you could easily see exchange in a “normal” panel or a setting of people without significant disabilities talking together.

How will you consider autistic children in your classroom in light of this presentation?
            In my classroom I will make a special effort to include the child with Autism through whatever device or accommodation needed.  I feel it is also important to explain this to the other students within the classroom and involve them in the process of making the classroom a great place for ALL students.  I think giving students ownership over this and promoting an environment for acceptance is the first step to help children with Autism in my classroom. 

How does the information you’ve learned affect your future teaching practice?
            Relating back to and expanding on the comments in the above question, I think that learning about FC’s and that some children will have to use them to communicate will greatly affect my future teaching practices.  Also, realizing that children with Autism may need more time to formulate and articulate thoughts, comments, and questions I want to be sure to incorporate that into my curriculum. 
A key point that I want to realize and remember throughout any classroom that I have is that even though children with a disability or not may not articulate or show what they know in the way I am expecting them to, does NOT mean that they are of lower intelligence.  This aspect was something that really shined through both of these videos to me and I am glad that I realized and analyzed this.

Was this information new, and how do you feel about it?
            Some of the information was new to me, as I have mentioned earlier was about the FC device.  I had no idea that those were available to children with autism (I honestly didn’t know they existed).  I think this is a very useful thing not only to children with Autism, but to many children with varying disabilities!
            I am glad to have been exposed to these videos and given the opportunity to analyze and review the thoughts, comments, and ideas presented.  I think seeing Barb in person at her presentation would have been even better, but for now I am glad to have this resource to pass on and reflect on!


-S

No comments:

Post a Comment