Friday, April 26, 2013

Group Differences Forum and End of the Semester

I have to admit when I was reading about the group differences forum and trying to understand how it was going to work, I wasn't sure if it was going to be something I would like to do.  I had concerns about how we would discuss things like religion in education and race/racism.  I think that anyone could tell you those are discussions that could sometimes turn into heated debates or even worse.  However, in thinking this I also knew that the group of people that made up our classroom have made the discussion environment very open and accepting of all opinions and comments.  Because our environment was like this, I believed that we could be able to talk about these topics and probably dive into deep discussion!

As we all know (and were present for) the group differences forum went really well.  I was impressed by the professionalism and open-mindedness that our group displayed through the two days.  The discussion was very thoughtful and brought up many different aspects that I had not considered myself. I also liked that different people played the "devil's advocate" role and challenged thoughts and ideas, this is very important to me when I am thinking about issues or decisions and how to solve them.

Some of my favorite discussions were: religion, race, gender, and poverty (okay I am a little biased there).  Within these topics there were many comments and ideas I have heard numerous times as well as those that were completely new.  I found that I was caught between "what I should say because I am a teacher" and "what I should say because I really feel that way" or things my background has taught me throughout my life.  I think that's the hardest aspect for myself in regards to teaching; knowing what is the best culture and environment for children, and doing things that are the "standard" way of doing them (like from when I was in school).  This is a daily struggle with me when I am in the classroom because I also know some of the "standard" ways of doing things are also the easy way out or do not call for much effort.  I know most teacher would never admit that, but if I am being completely honest then that is the truth.  Sometimes you just want to do things the easy and fast way, you can deny it but I really feel like EVERYONE has those days!

Overall, I really liked the group forum and the ability to have a discussion with each other about it.  I wish many of my other classes had incorporated this into their class time because I feel I learned as much from that as I did any other class.  I am very grateful for that experience!

Throughout the semester I have truly enjoyed getting to know the people in this class a little better and being able to discuss and talk openly.  This was one of the few classes that I have felt comfortable doing that in and it was very nice to get to participate.  I want to thank everyone for an awesome semester and wish everyone the best wherever their endeavors take them!

-S

1 comment:

  1. Shelby - Great summary. I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed being in both my classes with you. You are a very 'real' person, and that's worth a lot. I wish you all the best as you continue to prepare for teaching!! (and Happy Wedding!)

    ReplyDelete